Must-Have Board Books for Babies and Toddlers
We have a few well-loved board books that are barely still holding together. My babies loved holding them, chewing them, and reading them over and over and over. Reading with your baby makes for fun bonding time. All of the below books were a hit with my babies from before they could sit on their own… through their toddler years when they wanted to read them all day long… and at ages 5 and 6 they still occasionally request them. If you’re looking to start your library or for a great baby shower gift, look no further.
1. Any book by Sandra Boynton – Sandra Boynton writes fun, short children’s books that my kids never got sick of listening to and I never got sick of reading. The rhymes are simple and smooth. You can’t go wrong with any of her books, but in my opinion these are her top three: But Not the Hippopotamus; The Going to Bed Book; and especially, Oh Me Oh My Oh Dinosaurs. Oh, and the Belly Button Book! is also a winner.
2. Dr. Seuss – The Dr. Seuss board books are shorter than the original versions, which make them the perfect length to read to your 0-1 year old. The number one favorite for my kids and family is Hop on Pop. My babies also always wanted to listen to: Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb; Are You My Mother?; Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?; and Summer. This is a great set of Dr. Seuss board books on Amazon that I love to give as a gift to expecting moms.
3. The Very Hungry Caterpillar – This book is an oldie and a goodie. It’s a relatable tale of eating all of the things and then regretting it. I remember loving having this book read to me in kindergarten, and it was fun to share it with my little ones.
4. Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See – This is one that little ones tend to enjoy more than their adults, but I still recommend having it in your home library. It is a great first book for little ones to “read” on their own or to someone they love. This was the first book that my older son ever “read” to his little brother. He was two and his little brother was 1 and it was THE BEST.
5. If Animals Kissed Goodnight – This is a sweet goodnight story with a nice cadence and rhyme scheme that your baby will love.
I hope you and yours enjoy these books as much as my family and I did!